Kishwaukee Health Foundation & Valley West Community Hospital’s Ice Cream Celebration & Tree of Life Dedication
July 30, 2008
Twenty-one memorial and recognition leaves and stones were placed on the Valley West Community Hospital Tree of Life on July 23, during the Kishwaukee Health Foundation’s annual Donor Appreciation Ice Cream Celebration and Tree of Life Dedication.
The Kishwaukee Health Foundation raises funds in support of Valley West Community Hospital, DeKalb County Hospice, and Kishwaukee Community Hospital.
Participating in the event were Virginia Larsen, Kishwaukee Health Foundation Chair; Kevin Poorten, President & CEO of KishHealth System; Brad Copple, Administrator, Valley West Community Hospital; and Mike Muzzillo, Assistant Administrator, Valley West Community Hospital. Renee Ellingson, Kishwaukee Health Foundation Executive Director, dedicated the newest leaves and stones for the Tree of Life.
The leaves on the Tree of Life form an umbrella of caring and sharing that symbolically shelters and nurtures our community. The stones beneath the Tree symbolize the solid foundation upon which our future is built.
The newest memorial leaves and stones are:
- In loving memory of Bud and Marilyn (McQuown) Anderson by their daughters Sue Hohenberger, Jane Meyer and Linda Schielke
- In memory of Gale L. Colvin III 1974-2008 by Mary Grasch
- “Good Morning Salute” VWCH Paul H. Gleason, RMT 7-31-2006 by Mary Redmon-Gleason
- Paul H. Gleason, RMT 1977-2006 SCH-VWCH by Mary Redmon-Gleason
- In loving memory of Harriet Golis by Lane & Donna Kapela
- In memory of my husband Doyle W. Jelm by Betty Jelm 2006
- In memory of Fred and Bessie Legner by Roberta Larson
- In loving memory of Woodrow D. Nelson by the WSPY-FM Radio Family and Friends
- In memory of Hilda and Gerry Schmitz by Jack & Kathy Kuppler and Janet & Tom Naylon
- In memory of Ross H. Scofield 2007 by Betty Scofield
- In memory of our loving Daughter & Sister Karen (Kuhn) Bohr Sepaniak by Annabelle Kuhn
- In loving memory of John W. Van Kirk by Pat, Denise, Susan, Nancy and Sandra 5/10/83 by Pat Van Kirk
- In loving memory of our Mother Carole Van Winkle by Christine Burgin and Connie Rohlman
Leaves and stones in recognition of other donors are:
- Renee and Brian Ellingson
- Foxland Respiratory Consultants Dr. Thomas & Carole Liske and Family
- Greg and Karyn Grandgeorge
- Pete & Mary Jane Hotopp
- In gratitude for the blessings bestowed on our family Willard & Shirley Lee 6/12/08
- Contributed by the Associates at Olsson Roofing Company
- Contributed by The Sandwich Fair Association, Inc. in DeKalb County IL
- Brenton and Jean Wadsworth
Each silver leaf represents a gift of $100, each copper leaf a gift of $500, each gold leaf a gift of $1,000, and each stone a gift of $5,000 or more.
“The Ice Cream Celebration is our chance to thank all of our donors for their support, commitment and generosity to Valley West Community Hospital over the years. We are so grateful to have the opportunity to meet and spend this time with our donors,” said Renee Ellingson, Kishwaukee Health Foundation Executive Director.
Since its inception in 2004, gifts to the Valley West Heart of the Hospital campaign total more than $200,000. One of the new Birthing Suites was built in part with donations from the community, and Emergency Department equipment was also funded by Heart of the Hospital donations.
Funds raised help purchase healthcare equipment and technology for Valley West Community Hospital. Money raised will also support our unrestricted endowment fund for future needs. Valley West Community Hospital is part of the KishHealth System.